Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Killing It!!

Back when I was young there was a commercial on TV (well, there were a LOT of commercials on TV, lol). Anyway, this one went something like this . . . there was a young mom playing with her new baby and laughing (and the announcer says, "this is life!" while beautiful music is playing in the background). Then, suddenly the announcer says as the screech of a record being stopped is heard, "and this kills it" as the young mom pulls a cigarette to her mouth. Another scene shows a happy couple walking out in a meadow of flowers and we hear the announcer say while the music is playing "this is life". Then, again, the sound of a record screech as the music stops and the man pulls a cigarette to his mouth "and this kills it."

At the time, I wasn't a smoker (that was later) but this commercial obviously had a lasting impression on me.

Fast forward to tonight. I was in the kitchen having the time of my life whipping up a (I think) delicious vegan meal. I made kale salad in peanut sauce and curried lentil soup. I was enjoying the fact that Skip is home and I get to show off my recent passion for good food that is so good for you. The twins and I are dairy free (Courtney and I), gluten free (the twins and I), sugar free (all three again) and pretty much meat free (me). However, that does leave still a lot of leaway for delicious meals.

Okay . . . dinner tonight. So, I'm serviing up this soup and salad (which, by the way, was nothing short of fabulous) and happy (envision the music playing in the background). Skip walks out, sees what I'm serving and (screech, music stops) he grabs WHITE bread and plops it in the toaster (2 pieces!!) and grabs (gasp) the bucket (okay, tub) of Country Crock margerine (aka plastic food). I tried to not looked alarmed or shocked but . . . . really????

No comments: