Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Some Funny Vacation Moments


1. While we were FINALLY ready to load the plane in SFO (we had a 6 hour delay due to plane challenges) the announcer came on and informed us that it would be in our best interest to quickly load on the plane and not spend too much time dilly dallying with our overhead luggage. Nan turned to me and said, "I so hate it when people take forever putting their stuff away and make everyone else wait." Somehow Nan and I got separated by like 6 people between us. While I was walking on the plane the line stopped. I waited, waited, waited and then peeked around to see what the deal was. Holy crap! It was Nan trying to smash her suitcase in that overhead bin! I yelled, "Are you kidding me?" Her face got redder and redder. When I finally got to my seat beside her I then said, "I am NOT with you. I do NOT know you!" We both cracked up!
2. Almost every single time that Nan had no or minimal amounts of clothing on, I, for whatever reason, would decide that we needed air in our hotel room and would throw open the door (that opened out to the pool area) without checking with her. She would yell, "Jode! Ahhhh!!!" Sorry Nan.
3. We were walking along the beach when a young boy approached me and asked if I wanted to buy a conch shell for $1. I couldn't resist. He was so dang cute!!! I said, "Sure! You live around here?" (thinking I was doing my part in helping out a sweet boy and his impoverished family). He answered, "No, I'm from Seattle. We are on vacation." Well, it turns out the shell got confiscated at the airport in security. Shows to go ya!
4. When we got to Caye Caulkner airport (a little strip out in the middle of nowhere with a shack called "terminal" nearby), a taxi driver was waiting in his golf cart. He said he was picking us up. I said, "Are you Juan?" (remembering the name Gloria had given me for the driver picking us up, of course). He said "No." I refused to go with him. He then said to Nan, "You are Nancy?" She was surprised and asked how he knew. He said that Gloria had told him that Jody was the blonde and that Nancy would be traveling with her (me). I then asked him what his name was and he said, "Lulu." I then (blushing and laughing kind of nervously) said, "Oh yeah, that's right! That's the name we were supposed to be listening for!" Duh!!!
5. We are in the Miami airport waiting for our flight home. I went to use the restroom and came back exasperated. Nan asked what was up and I said, "I had such a hankerin for some peanut M&M's and couldn't find any anywhere!" A few minutes go by and she leaves to use the restroom before our flight boards. She comes back and throws a pack of M&M's in my bag. I look up and say, "Score! Where did you get these? You rock!!" Later we are on the plane and I decide that we need to write down our funniest moments. I am busy writing and notice Nan is quiet. I look up and notice she has a frickin box of See's candy open in front of her. I'm like WTF??? What the hell is this??? I didn't even ask. I just dove head first into her box of candy. We both regreted it later but, DANG!!, it was pretty frickin awesome while it lasted.
I love Nan and am so glad we got to do this trip together. We had so many laughs, good heart to heart talks and some really awesome moments where we learned stuff about ourselves. The picture above is our last night at the yoga studio as the sun was setting. A bittersweet moment. Thank you, friend, for making my vacation one of the best times ever! I love you, man!!!

No comments: