Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Just Like Mom!

I remember several years ago my mom telling me that after us kids had all moved out she woke up one morning and had no idea who she was. No, I'm not saying that Mom had lost her mind or anything, she had just always identified herself as our "Mom". It bothered her a lot that suddenly that was no longer her "active" identity.

Well, Mom didn't waste any time. She started taking art classes and gardening classes. She is now a master gardener and she creates the most awesome pieces of art. She sent me a picture of a squirrel eating a nut for my birthday that she painted. It rocks!

I'm proud of my mom. She has created a life for herself that she enjoys and that is fulfilling to her. She is happy.

I have always remembered that comment and have really strived to make sure that I have plenty of activities that define me as well. I have four children now out of the house with three on final approach. I know that I'll be sad when they leave but one this is certain . . .I will NOT wake up and be at a loss as to who I am or what I do.

Thank you, Mom, for that very valuable lesson. You rock!

1 comment:

brandilyn said...

i love that you have your own identity outside of "mom." i hope i can someday say the same thing, too!