Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Down but not out!!

Pierre (our little dog) had a close call today. While we were out riding horses, I realized that he wasn't with me. My intuition told me something was wrong. I started backtracking to find him and could hear him yelping in the distance. I kicked up my mount (well, it was Cowboy so he stumbled and farted around) to find the little fellow.

As I crested a hill I saw a large coyote standing up there looking down on me, challenging me to come closer. I realized then that the yelping had quit and quickly put the pieces together. I started yelling but that coyote was not going to budge. He was standing over his "kill". When I got close enough, the size of me on my horse was enough to intimidate the predator and he finally took off. All I could see was my little dog's limp body laying there on the ground. I started yelling, "Noooooooooo!!!!!"

As soon as Pierre heard my voice his little head sort of lifted and then his body started rolling down the hill. I caught him in my arms and he bit my chin in the process - being disoriented, confused and scared. The look in his eyes told me he was taking his last few breaths. I wanted him to die in my arms - not on the ground in the weeds.

Wrong again! Once he realized he was safely in my arms, he started to come to. I traded horses with my friend (she was riding Zoe) and rode home with Pierre in my arms. We took him to the animal hospital. He's in bad shape but he's going to pull through.

As for me - well, I guess that bite is going to cost me. Animal Control sent me to the ER to have it looked at. When they heard what had happened, they informed me that I needed to start immediate treatment for rabies. So, yeah, I had 8 shots tonight (3 right in my chin where he bit) and get to do it over again Friday and then 3 more times in the next 28 days.

Good thing I love that little dog so much . . .

1 comment:

brandilyn said...

it's just not safe for him out there in big scary california!! it's time for pierre to move in with david and i... :) thank you so so so much for taking care of our little man. i can't believe that happened to you today.