Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Bead Dough

I started reading this book "Transforming the Difficult Child".  I was pretty resistant to reading it initially but now have really gotten into it.  I'm loving putting some of the tools that are given into practice with the twins.  It's amazing how things are working out.  It seems to be taking the nagging out of my parenting techniques.  Imagine that!

Okay, so I've implemented the "bead system" into our lives.  Courtney gets pink beads and Jacob gets blue beads.  These beads are like money and they can "spend" their beads at the "store" on the days that they were able to do all their morning responsiblities on their own (brush teeth, get dressed, make beds, take meds etc) without any prompting from the parental units.  The store is a privilege center.  They can purchase a sleepover with a friend, computer time, ipod time etc. etc. etc. (we've even got a bag of chips in the store because that seems to be a big deal for these guys, lol).  So every time I catch them doing good, I chuck a couple of beads their way.  It's amazing how things are turning around. 

Tonight Jacob counted his beads before bedtime and said, "Wow!  I have 75 beads, Mom.  I can buy computer time tomorrow!  I'm excited!!"  I laughed and reminded him that he needs to do his morning deeds on his own in order to earn the privilege to "shop".  "Oh yes.  I know, Mom.  I'm going to show you tomorrow!" 

Anyone who knows anything about my family knows what a little miracle this is! 

1 comment:

Robyn Pelamati said...

A miracle indeed!!! Love to them both...especially my lil jacob! ♥♥