Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Sweetbreads

Sounds innocent enough.  Right?

On our second night here we went out to dinner with "the group."  We went to the biggest restaurant I have EVER seen in my life.  The Hof Brau Haus.  The largest pitchers of beer I have ever seen (I have since found out that that's the norm when you order beer).  This place was massive.  I think it took up a full city block and was two stories high.  It was as loud as loud can be and there were people EVERYWHERE.  Because of the size of our group, we had a room all to ourselves.

So here comes the menu.  Most everything here is sauerkraut, meat and potatoes.  Very little fresh vegetables and when there are, it's pathetic at best.  I decided when I embarked upon this journey that I was going to pony up and eat what the natives eat and not fuss about my dietary pickiness.  I take a look at the menu and it is scary to me.  Really scary.  I'm actually thinking that maybe I'm not hungry and a glass of water sounds pretty nutritious.

However, someone hands me the weekly special menu and I notice "Sausage with Sweetbreads".  Hmm, think I.  Sausage ... not my favorite but do-able.  Sweetbreads ... hell yes!  I'm a sugar junkie and anything sweet gets my attention and NOW.  So, yup, that's my choice and I'm sticking with it!

I place my order as does the other 18 people in our party (none that I have ever met before besides my husband).  While the last of the people are placing their order, the gentleman next to me turns to me and says, "Wow, you're sure a brave soul.  I honestly didn't initially peg you as an overly adventurous one.  And, now, look you're the bravest one here."

Okay ... you've got my attention.  Wtf?  He then explains to me that "sweetbreads" are "brains" and what I ordered was sausage made with brains.  Holy vomit!  What the hell did you just say???? Yeah, suddenly the water idea was sounding AMAZING!  I flagged our waiter down as quickly as possible and requested a change to my entree.  He smiled, knowingly, and obliged.  I ended up with saausage hot dog looking things on sauerkraut with scalloped potatoes.  I picked at it and smiled a lot and pretended to be engaged in conversation around me in hopes that nobody would notice I wasn't eating.

The next night for dinner?  Yeah, we dipped before they knew we were gone and headed to Planet Hollywood and had salad.  Sorry, Germany, I really love you but you can keep the grub.  I'm a salad and fresh produce kind of gal.

No comments: