Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Leaving Depression in the Dust

I have to say that I'm quite impressed with myself as of late.  I took on the challenge of picking up my running shoes, lacing them up and getting ready for a 10k run in Phoenix in March.  I haven't been a runner for a year since I injured my knee last January doing something that I choose not to disclose at this time.

I told Danielle this morning as I was walking down the hall after finishing my run, "Hmm.  It's amazing that I don't have depression since I started running again (2 weeks now)."  Well, that's not word for word but that's the gist of what I meant.  It's true, though.  I've had a rough year in every way I can imagine.  Going through the list of poopy things isn't helpful so I'll just leave it at that.  However, the last two weeks have had me singing, "Skippidy Doo Dah, Skippidy Day . . ." (get it?  Skip?  Lol).

So, last night I decided to take a yoga class that I don't usually take.  I had no idea what to expect.  The teacher is someone I respect a lot so I was excited to take the class.  Besides, it's the class RIGHT before my class that I teach so it was a "no brainer".  Right?  Well, guess who rediscovered her knee issue.  Damn! I tossed and turned all night last night in bed with that throbbing knee.  I rehearsed the words in my head that I would now have to share with Princess, "Um . . . sorry I can't do that run with you.  I suck butt!"

I hobbled my way to the bathroom this morning, said a prayer, sent my energy to God for refreshing and closed my eyes (seeing myself in the mirror in the morning is scary, lol).  I then felt the nudge to go to a certain place in my stash of potions and discovered a bottle of magic that I forgot I owned (there's a lot of those, just sayin . . .).  I mixed it with a little of this and a little of that and put it on the ailing knee.  I then made my way out to my trusty friend, my treadmill and climbed on board for a "fast walk."

About two minutes into said walk I started feeling pretty perky.  I bumped up the speed and, before I knew it, I was RUNNING (Forest Gump).  I logged on my 3.5 miles and felt pretty amazing.  I can't say that my knee is healed but with ice, love and magic potions, I think I'm on the mend.

Pretty excited, too.  I was a little concerned about the dark cloud returning.  NOT!  I'm still Miss Sunshine and I'm ready to walk out the door to another episode of my teacher's class.  Wish me luck!

No comments: