Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

Now THAT'S Italian!

Yesterday, when we got the message that there was a group dinner organized, I was a wee bit nervous in light of my last experience (the "sweet breads").  However, I really didn't want to appear the party pooper so I put on my brave front and went with the flow.

I was overly excited when the group had chosen an Italian establishment on the other end of the market place.  It was snowing like a booger head but I was even game to walk the distance to dinner. We ended up having a very formal six or seven course dinner.  I loved it because we got to try a lot of different things, the portions were small so we didn't end up being stuffed to the gills and the waiter was a hoot!

First of all . . . may I please say how entirely refreshing it is to be in a culture that treats women (for the most part) like ladies when we are out and about.  The three of us women in the group were served first and accomodations were made for us as we were the only ones that expressed a displeasure for fish.  Several times I have noticed "gentlemen" going out of their way for the women here - something that seems to be lost in the U.S.

Next . . . our waiter.  I LOVED this guy!  At one point he brought out a platter and gently placed it between one of the other women - Stephanie - and I.  She looked at me and said, "what did you order?"  Before I could answer, he pulled off the lid of the platter and a rubber chicken jumped out at us.  We both screamed and jumped and the whole table was in hysterics.  Good one!

As we were departing, the waiter helped me with my jacket on and took my hand and kissed it.  I've never had a gentleman do that before.  Very touching.  We closed the place down and had one of the best evenings EVER!

Our waiter was Italian - from Italy.  The restaurant was Italian and I must say . . . I'm impressed!

No comments: