Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My Running Mate

Today one of my most faithful friends returned home to live with God.

12-1/2 years ago a good friend gave me this amazing companion, Maddie, my black lab.  At first I just "tolerated" her because she was a puppy and she was all over the place.  But, over time, she became one of my bestest running buddies EVER!  I would go out running in the hills and Maddie would be gone in a flash.  She would find any kind of little or BIG animal and just run and run and run.

When I would take my a horse out for a trail ride, Maddie was right there with me.  She kept up and was happy every step of the way.  Sometimes we would go out on 15 or more mile rides and she was such a trooper.

As time went on, Maddie began to slow down.  So much so that she didn't get to go out with me anymore.  I knew the day was coming but I, as always, chose to stick my head in the sand and pretend that it wasn't so.

Today while I was up in Sacramento taking care of some things with Jacob, I got a frantic phone call from Danielle that something was terribly wrong with my buddy.  It took me over an hour to get back home and, when I did, I knew that there was only one thing to do.  Call the vet and do the right thing.

It broke my heart and I've been crying non stop since.  I stayed with my little buddy right up to her last breath.  I sobbed my heart out the entire time and really haven't stopped.  I know she's up in heaven already reunited with Boomer and Holly and Mosca (some of my other beloved pets that have gone before her).

Maddie, I love you.  I know you're happy and I thank you for all the amazing memories.  I hope that you are there to greet me when I get to return home soon.  Until that day, RIP.

No comments: