Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

Upside Down. Inside Out

That's what happened last week.  Here I was just hummin along enjoying a completely crazy out of control life and BAM! I got slapped up side the head unexpectedly.  I guess we all need that once in awhile.  It just sucks butt when it happens.

Skip's leg swelled up quickly in two days and he went to the doc.  Doc says "off to the emergency with you!" and they promptly checked him into the hospital. Fast, fast, fast!  He told me to not bother coming down because he would be fine (he still lives in LA). 

I called his parents to aprise them of the situation and his dad wisely advised me that I needed to head south regardless of what was coming out of my husband's mouth.  So, off I went.  Good counsel, Dad! 

When I arrived on Saturday things were heading south and QUICK!  He was in a community hospital that had minimal ability to test and determine what the flip was going on.  Meanwhile, the swelling and pain were getting more and more intense coupled with a doc that just had a bewildered look saying, "Hm, I just dunno!"  I was hysterical by Sunday night and called his parents.  They packed up and headed out here (from Phoenix) and Brian headed down (from school in Santa Barbara).  Monday came and I had support.

The infectious disease doctor was called in and, after some tests, it was determined that he had an aggressive staph infection happening.  Holy cow!  No indication of how that happened.  Surgery was scheduled and antibiotics were amped up.  FINALLY things were happening and I was beginning to feel like Skip was going to be ok.

My life is on hold back at home.  Danielle is running my life (thank you, girl) and I'm here with Skip.  He is finally home at his apartment and Rob and I are planning on tag teaming home care so that I can "kinda" take care of my life at home, teach my classes and get things under control. 

Thank you to all of our friends and family for your love, help and prayers.  This was a scary few days but, against most of what I trust and believe in, Western medicine has the situation under control.  I'm grateful that Skip is now returning back to his old self (good news/bad news, lol).

No comments: