Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

The Gut

Since I haven't had time in like freaking FOREVER to blog, I kind of saved up some stuff that I wanted to blog about and today (now that I'm kicking it at Skip's crib for a week or so) is the day I'm going to start catching up.

Several weeks ago, we were up at Boonville doing a rodeo with my drill team.  Fun fun fun.  Skip and I stayed in Ukiah since that was the closest place with motel availability. 

Skip had to pop into an auto parts store and I (wisely) opted to chill in the truck while he did his man business.  While I was sitting there, I noticed that several classic cars were cruising by with people my age driving them.  The windows were down and the couples were looking around to make sure that people like me were noticing them  It brought me back . . .

When I was in my teen driving years and living up in Washington, we had a Friday and Saturday night tradition.  We would all take our cars to Vancouver and "cruise the gut".  Crazy verbage but it was the highlight of my week.  We would slowly (and there were hundreds of us, it seemed) cruise down Main Street and up Broadway.  We drove and drove and drove and drove for hours, it seemed, like that.  Just making sure that everyone was noticing us.

Sometimes we would see someone that peaked our interest (i.e. opposite gender) and we would pull over and discuss "things".  Lol.  Othertimes, some smart ass (like me) thought they had a car that was amazing and fast (because I did) and we would challenge each other to "drag" down at the river.  That always made for extra fun.  I have so many fond memories of my gut cruising days.

So, it kind of seemed a bit nostalgic to see these people driving up and down Main and Broadway that Sunday morning.  It would have been a wee bit better if it had been in the evening/night but then people my age now have a MUCH earlier bedtime.  Ah, youth is definitely wasted on the young.

No comments: