Pages

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Simple Down

I can't even begin to summarize the things that have gone amiss in my life in the last month.  I don't think I've ever had this much slam me in the chops at one time in my entire life.  And most of them have been really HUGE life changing things.  I don't want to go into too much detail but suffice it to say that I feel pretty beat up right now.

So when my washing machine broke down and breathed its last breath last week I was like, "well . . . why the hell not?  Everything else is checking out of late!"  Danielle was WAY pissed cuz she had to haul all her laundry to town and use a (GASP!) laundromat.  I guess that's a pretty pricey enterprise these days.  I did not know this.

Skip and I then started having the convo about my new purchase when I would get home.  The washer and dryer I had were fancy dancy computerized dilly whoppers that spoke to each other and shared secrets about what was in the washer about to go into the dryer.  Before I could transfer a load they would have this 411 and discuss it in great detail.  I would THEN and ONLY then get permission to take clothes from one unit to the other.  It was a pretty big deal.  I could only guess the things they were talking about.

I informed Mr. Weltz that I so didn't need anything fancy anymore.  Furthermore, I didn't need anything with an extra ginormous capacity either.  I really just wanted to have a normal Joe kinda set.  He informed me that I should check out the three stores in my town and make an informed decision.  I was given a budget (obviously based on how much we spent like seven years ago) and sent on my way.

When I ventured into the first (and only) store I perused the machines.  Of course, my budget would only purchase something that would only be appropriate in a one bedroom apartment.  You know. . . one of those over/under things?  Yeah, I was gonna have to venture out into the unknown world of high finance.  Damn!

I then found them.  They were sitting there trying to look all fancy and such but I could tell right away that they were pretty down to earth.  I called the authority on large purchases (Mr. Weltz) and told him that my new appliances were sitting in front of me but that they were just a wee bit over the "budget".  I grimaced as I said the price out loud.  My phone didn't explode and I got the reluctant "go ahead".

They now reside at the same address I do.  It's pretty cool.  No conversing appliances any more.  Just throw the soiled duds in the washer, a bit of soap and push a button.  When the washer stops, I can just chuck them into the dryer (well, I'm still line drying for another day or two while the weather is amazing) and push another button.  Badda bing, badda bam!

Definitely pretty sure the simple life is the best.

1 comment:

brandilyn said...

that's the kind of washer and dryer we have and it's not too bad! of course, we did the horrid laundromat thing for 4 years before we graduated to our very own set. fancy things like washers/dryers, dishwashers, and garages must be earned, i've found, through years of using crap so you can really appreciate them.