Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Jillian Thing

Please don't take this personal, Jaybee . . .

About 11 years ago when Jillian and Princess were about 12 years old, Jillian's family lived in Nebraska and we would call and talk to her about 3-4 times a week on the phone.  Jillian was, at that time, really obsessed with "IM" (it was a texting online thing that aol had before texting was such a big thing on phones) and TV. 

We would call and Jillian would be silent for long periods of time.  We would say, "did you hear what I just said?" and she would then say, "wait, what?"  I would ask her, "Are you on the computer or watching TV?"  She would ALWAYS answer with the affirmative.  That became a joke with us since that time.

Well, today I caught myself doing the "Jillian thing" while I was talking to Princess on the phone.  I'm here in LA tending to my sick husband and she called.  She was driving home from somewhere (I didn't catch what she said because I was so involved with the movie I was watching) and decided to call me in the middle of the day.  Now, in her mind, I'm sure she thought that that was a safe thing to do.  Mom sitting in a small apartment tending to Dad, probably bored out of her mind (bingo!) and totally hates on watching TV (bingo!), should be excited to get a phone call from her daughter (usually bingo!). 

I was in the middle of watching an ancient movie (Taxi) and it was at the best part (you know, where Queen Latifa is about to totally out wit those HOT Brazilian girls) and she calls.  I answered with, "You ALWAYS seem to have rotten timing!"  She quickly laughs and says, "that's ok, Mom, you can call me back."  I then feel horrible for putting a stupid movie that I've seen numerous times ahead of my baby girl and attempt to have a convo with her.  NOT!  Bad idea.  Finally, I said, "Princess, I'm just doing the Jillian thing so I think I need to hang up.  I'm really distracted."  She laughs again and agrees (DAMN!  I love that girl!).

Next time, I think I need to just shut the damn TV off.

No comments: