Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dog Eats Homework and other news

Three months ago Courtney was given a HUGE project to complete for science. At the time, I remember thinking, "wow, how is SHE going to pull this one off." Of course, I helped her with the start and she also got some input from her teacher. Life took off and I eventually didn't give it much thought (bad mistake).

Today, as I was picking her up from school, she comes walking out with a HUGE 3-part poster board. When she got into the car I asked, "what's the poster board for?"

She replied, "My science project."
Hmmm. "So . . . your teacher gave all the students poster board to do their project?"
"No, just me."
"Oh, what's that about? Why just you?"
"Well, I told the teacher that we didn't have enough money to buy poster board. That's why I haven't been able to finish my project."

Wait a minute . . . did I hear that right? You said WHAT???

Needless to say, I was overly mortified. Wow.

So fast forward to later this evening when I informed her that homework and that project was going to be her life for this four day weekend of hers. She started randomly writing stuff on this poster board and I casually asked her what the "plan" was. She gave me a blank look. Okay, let me rephrase this . . . where's your research and where have you drawn up your master plan for what you're putting on this poster board.

"Well, I did all the research but someone took it. It's gone. I'm trying to remember what was in it so I can put it on the poster."
Screech!!! Halt! Back up!!!! "Hello, Sister Bear, I wasn't born yesterday. I know what you have been doing on homework every night and this project certainly wasn't in the line up. Guess what!! You get all day tomorrow to research this topic, Saturday to plan and create your poster, Sunday to do church and then Monday to put the finishing touches on. So long to your sleepover and other plans. Sorry!"

Needless to say, I have a very unhappy child tonight. I do have to give her credit, however, for attempting to come up with a story - however lame it may be.

Also, today I discovered a wonderful world of gluten free products at Vans. I'm in heaven! I can have pasta and bread and cookies! Yee! There is life after being told you are gluten intolerant!!! Happy is me!

1 comment:

Courtney B said...

So I peeked at your blog because I noticed your profile picture... I have the same one :) With me and my husband of course haha. Thank goodness for cruises! :)
I love that your daughter's name is Courtney :)