Pages

Monday, November 9, 2009

Christmas . . . again

Grrrr. That's what I think about this blasted holiday. I'm really dreading it and want it to just go away. We don't have the $$ it takes to make it happen and I frankly don't give a rip. I know, I know, what a bad attitude from somebody who is typically so positive.

Christmas is just this commercial pain in the ass. Everybody is expected to buy gifts for everybody they can think of. Some peeps on the list just get all kinds of pissed off if you don't get them something (yup, and it better be just the right brand from the right store, too). Oh, and I hate it when someone gives you an unexpected gift and you just give them a blank, deer in the headlights look back. Yeah, that would be my favorite part of this ridiculous over-rated tradition.

What ever happened to putting Christ at the center of Christmas? Do ya think Christ would be out at the mall shopping until he drops for the perfect gift for everyone? Heck no!!! He gave us the perfect gift. The ultimate sacrifice. I'd like to be able to give everyone on my list a gift of service. Unfortunately, that won't go over very well to SOME peeps. It has to be a big fancy gift certificate to some fancy dancy store.

Well, I say, "Take my name out of the pool. I'm good with a happy family and some quality time together!"

Anyone who would even slightly entertain buying me a gift this year, please do me a favor: DON'T. Please just go out and do something nice for someone and tell them to "Pay it Forward."

Happy Holidays, Everyone!!!

3 comments:

brandilyn said...

You can take us off your list! We're happy to just get to spend some time with you guys :)

Josh, Shauna, Allison, Brynlee said...

Jode, I really hope you are able to enjoy Christmas. It is NOT about the presents, it is about spending time with loved ones and celebrating Christ. Josh and I have talked a lot about the gifts for others this year and we feel bad we just can't afford it this year. We aren't even doing things for eachother, we are focusing on our girls needs and it is going to be a simple, cozy, enjoyable Christmas. I think that is one of the pluses to the horrible economy, we can simplify and our gift to others can be our time, love and expression of friendship versus material gifts. Anyone who really loves you won't care one bit about not getting gifts.

Anonymous said...

There are so many wonderful things about Christmas. Even though it's not really Christ's birthday. Christ, as an avatar, represents peace and love. This year I'm trying to embrace those intentions as we keep it simple: traditions like making cinnamon rolls or wrapping simple gifts become rituals and teaching moments. Extending a plate of cookies to the neighbors in a gesture that we have not forgotten them. Santa coming (even if it's an orange and my favorite - new razors and pringles), even to those who don't believe - because it reminds us of Leela - the play of life and how Christ wants us to feel joy. Do it your own way girl! Don't worry about returning every gesture or gift given to you - just say thanks and enjoy. I love it when people say non-apologetically, "I'm not doing gifts this year!" - such freedom and confidence.