Pages

Monday, June 29, 2009

Silence

I had lunch with Pattie today. We do this once a month and it has become one my very favorite things to look forward to. We laugh and enjoy each other so much. She truly is one of my besties.

Today, Pattie brought her son, Jeremy, with her. They were going out shopping afterward so he joined in our ladies lunch day. It turned out to be quite delightful. At first, Jeremy was pretty quiet. I quickly learned that that was mostly because the poor chap was hungry as the dickens! Once he ate his "man size" (that was HIS terminology) salad, he loosened up.

So the point . . . after quite a bit of conversation he said something that I've heard my husband say before that I find quite profound. He said that he has gotten a lot of flack from people over the years because they think he is "snobbish" or "has something to hide" because he is a man of few words. He summed it up beautifully: "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all!"

Hmmm, what a concept! But, really?!?!? I mean, the guy is REALLY quiet!

Okay but Skip says it another way: Think twice before saying nothing!

So when you see me in the near future keeping quiet . . . .NOT!!!!

1 comment:

brandilyn said...

Dave's sort of the same way. He's chatty and jokey at home but is so reserved around people we don't know...maybe his chatterbox wife will learn to shut her trap, too! haha