Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Going Downstream

I was in a quandry . . .

I was finally ready (after about 8 years of riding hunters) and had conjured up the "nerve" to show my Black Horse. I bought the correct breeches, hair net and other garb necessary to show and have been riding diligently so that I had my confidence up pretty well. I was excited about the show today and cleared my calender so that I could ride. However . . .

I totally gapped out about the annual Weltz Family Reunion that was today. That's okay (thought I) they are every year and it doesn't matter that I miss this one. But wait!!! Julie (my sister-in-law and one of my "besties") is going to be in town from Phoenix and is coming. Furthermore, Skip was quite obviously annoyed at the fact that I wanted to miss the shindig.

Crap.

So I talked to my dear friend, Pattie Whiting, and poured out the dilema to her. She's a non-involved 3rd party and she would shed some light on what I should do. And she did just that! She advised me to do the "family" thing and show another time (well, there was a lot more to the conversation but that was the gist of it).

Once that decision was made it felt like my canoe was swiftly scooting along downstream. Everything fell together. I had a fabulous time visiting with Julie. We laughed until our tummys hurt and there were tears in our eyes (there are only a handful of people in my life that have that effect on me) and I actually had fun (shhh. Don't EVER tell anyone I said that).

So thank you Pattie, thank you Julie and thank you Black Horse for being there ready to whisk me away over those jumps. I'll be ready to do just that on September 5th and my calendar is marked and ready!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to go Jodie! If only, more often, had the presence to call upon our friends when we face such decisions. More often than not, I find that we don't do this because we know the right thing to do and don't want to hear a voice we know we'll listen to tell us to go against what we "want" to do.

Good for you for listening to her!