Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Homegirl's Homework

I have a very hard life.  That's all there is to it.  I just don't know how I do it.

I just finished my Restorative Yoga Teacher Training up in San Francisco last week.  The class was absolutely amazing.  It's funny, though, how so many of my peers seem to almost "worship" people that are "experts" in yoga or zoning or whatever.  That't just a side note.

Anyway, the week, as I said, was amazing.  I learned a lot and made some new friends.  While I was there I was happy.  Coming home wasn't such a joyous treat.  There were "issues" everywhere I turned but, once again, I don't need to visit areas that aren't as pleasant.

Judith, my teacher, gave us "homework" that, she said, was for the rest of our lives.  One of those tasks was to do at least 20 minutes of restorative yoga per day.  At first I was, "Um . . . Sweetie, you have NO idea how messed up my life is and how messed up that is for me to even BEGIN to wrap my head around."  (Actually, that's messed up of me to have that line of thinking.)  However, I was wise in not voicing that commentary out loud.  Well, being one of eighty people in the class would have made my voice virtually unheard anyway.

I took my homework seriously and have really strived to keep a spot in each day to settle in and do this.  I mean, it IS only 20 minutes, right?

Day 1:  I settle in and the house phone rings.  DAMN!!  I undo everything and go to answer as said caller hangs up.  I then get settled in again and the dogs go crazy and there's a knock at the door.  The PG&E dude wanted to put some smart meter on my house or something.  Whatever.  Go do your thing.  I'm busy here!  I get settled in for the third time and my cell phone (I forgot to put it on "airplane" mode) goes off.  I pull the eye bag off my eyes and notice it's Princess.  Well, no way in hell am I gonna ignore this call.  Okay, game over.

Day 2:  Done!  Pulled the house phone off the hook.  Told family I'm in "do not disturb" mode for 20 minutes and I put the cell phone on airplane mode.  I'm getting the hang of this quick!

Today would be Day 3.  I have a busy day lined up but I can do this!  Right?  You bet.  I mean, after all it IS homework . . .

No comments: