Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Lost Child

Today after Seminary, Jacob and I decided to take a little "look see" at Target.  Actually, I needed to get some things and I had about an hour to kill before my next appointment.  Jacob starts school (applause for that!) tomorrow so today's the last day that he's stuck to my side.

I got well into the store when Jacob declared that he had to use the restroom (he's 14, so I'm good with letting him go off on his own) so off he went and off I went to do my thing knowing that he would be fine.  Right?  I so wish that were the case.

After my shopping chores were complete (only Brandilyn would get how long a trip in Target actually takes me) I proceeded to the checkout station.  Still my son had not materialized.  I was getting a wee bit concerned.  I parked my cart and made two laps (yes, TWO) around the store and my search still had not yielded said child. 

I took my stuff out to my car (hoping that maybe he had decided to meet me out there) and he was nowhere to be found.  I got more than a little concerned (Jacob looks like a 10 year old and has the mental maturity of a 4 year old - no joke).

I went back into the store and finally went over to the customer service and expressed my fears.  She made a storewide announcement and all employees were immediately on full alert.  The woman then asked me what he was wearing and I described that he was wearing:  a Red DC t-shirt with khaki shorts.

She said, "Are you sure that he wasn't wearing an orange shirt?  Does he had long hair and he's pretty thin and tall?"

I thought she was being a jerk and I tried to calmly but firmly tell her "no" and, once again, repeated what he was wearing and what he looked like.  Just then a young man of about 19 years old (right?) wearing an orange shirt with long straggly hair walked around the corner.  She pointed at him and said, "Maam, isn't that your son?"  I almost burst into full on laughter (if I hadn't been concerned for my child, I actually would have) as I thought "Hell no!  If THAT was my child, I would have walked out and been grateful for the break!"  Sorry, but I have older rogue boys that really test every ounce of patience I have EVER possessed.

Just then, someone came over the speaker system and announced that they had a boy named "Jacob" that was not accompanied with a parent.  I went rushing back to the back of the store and heard two employees arguing, "No, that's NOT him!  His mother was adamant that he was wearing a RED shirt!"

Yeah, that was my son, all right.  The one with a green shirt and brown shorts on.  Ahem.  Jacob then said to me, "Mom, I had the red shirt on YESTERDAY!"

Note to self:  Pay attention to what your children are wearing each day.

Oh, where was my child one may ask?  Yep, "distracted" in the video game area.  Nice.

No comments: