Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2012

My Yoga Playlist Dilema

Holy cow!  Welcome back (that was directed at me since I seem to wander off into Where Ever Land from time to time).  

Lately, my obsession (because there always seems to be something that occupies Sunshine's life) is teaching yoga.  I have jumped in full speed ahead and really seem to love it.  I was a wee bit nervous the first couple of times that I walked into a class and saw students there ready for ME to teach them.  The more classes I teach the less nervous I seem to be when I show up.

However, here's my hiccup.  Playlists.  I talked to a fairly new teacher and she told me she has like about 10-15 different playlists on her iPod so that she always has something different to play.  Wtf?  Are you kidding me?  I am happy to now have 5.  Yeah, that's right.  FIVE!.

I've been out on the "net" looking for ideas for playlists and, when I come across one that seems to be attached to a cool yogi, I start listening to the music and YUCK!  It's so not my vibe.  Another teacher recommended that I listen to Pandora and get ideas from there.  My problem there was that I just didn't now what to put in as my springboard song.  

So . . . in the spirit of what I would like to see out there, I've decided from time to time to post my own playlists in order to maybe help some other new (or seasoned) yoga teacher come up with inspiring music.  I don't tend to be a Top 20 kind of girl but I like to pepper my class with a bit of that  from time to time.  

For this week I have:

Dreaming by DJ Free
Equinox by DJ Free
Soaring by DJ Free
*These were my centering and warm-up songs and I just LOVED this CD
Amazing - Seal (Love Seal and, yup, I just jumped right in!)
Trance Dance (just a random CD that was laying around)
Crazy - Seal
Beautiful Lovely - The Deadbeats
Island in the Sun - Weezer
Mission Impossible Theme - Limp Biskit
Thunder Cloud - Karunesh
Sunrise - Norah Jones
Sofa Rockers - Sofa Surfers
Yoga Moods (random CD again - no clue)
Your Body is A Wonderland - John Mayer
Trance Dance (Unknown again - it made a sweet 5 minute Savasana, though)

If anyone that happens to pop into my blog knows of a good place to tap into to get really awesome music would you please let me know?  I really don't see any harm in sharing.  My classes are 1-1/2 hour so my playlists are a wee bit longer than some.

Namaste!


1 comment:

brandilyn said...

here are a few that i think would be good:

we're going to be friends by the white stripes

i was made for sunny days by the weepies

rambling man by laura marling (i LOVE this song)

ocean avenue by yellowcard

loud pipes by ratatat (no words, just music)

1901 by phoenix

better by regina spektor

let me know if you use any of these and what you think!! love you ofum.