Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Passer Outer

Forever and six days I have always known that my sister passes out when things get rough for her. I've stood behind her when she passed out while getting in trouble by Mom when we were younger. Actually, that was my first experience. We were both getting the what for and Tam was standing in front of me. My mom yelled, "Grab her she's passing out!" Sure enough my sister collapsed in my arms.

Over the years, there have been numerous other times where she has passed out on me. While I was taking a sliver out of her hand. While I was bandaging up a wound she had. Those kind of things.

It appears that I have a daughter with the same issue. One day, not that long ago, Courtney was pretty sick and throwing up. I was wiping her forehead with a cool cloth and holding her and suddenly her head went limp as a noodle and started falling toward the toilet. Fortunately, I caught it soon enough so that she didn't hit. Okay, Mom is on alert. We have a passer outer.

A couple of days ago on the way to school she mentioned something about a sliver in her hand. I told her I would help her with it when we were home. I couldn't deal with it on the way to school. I also reminded her that I forget most things so she would have to remind me later. She acknowledged that. This morning, as we were loading up in the car she mentioned the sliver again. Dang! I forgot to deal with that. We need to snag it when we get home. Of course, I forgot and she didn't remind me.

Tonight she's taking her shower. I'm preparing dinner. I call the kids and let them know it's dinner time and put the food out on the counter. Jacob, of course, is right on cue. "Where's your sister?" I inquire.

"She's sleeping in the shower." Right. I give him a dirty look and head to the bathroom to give Courtney a piece of my mind for taking so dog gone long in the shower. I mean, really? Come on, girl.

Sure enough, she's completely out cold on the floor of the shower. He face is a grayish color and I instantly launch into "Oh Shit" mode (sorry but that's the only phrase that describes my panic). I'm yelling, "Courtney! Courtney!" and slowly she opens her eyes and looks at me. "Get up! Are you okay? What's going on??"

She gets out and towels off and slowly gets dressed. She explains to me that while she was showering she was digging in her hand to get the pesky sliver out and everything started getting dizzy. She sat down and doesn't remember the rest. Holy crap!

So . . . yeah . . . another notch in my Mother-of-the-Year Award.

No comments: