Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Bittersweet

Going to Girl's Camp (the week-long camp that our church puts on for our teenage girls) has been part of my life since Brandilyn was 12 years old. I have gone every year with the exception of two (and one of those I was called but had to decline because Brandilyn chose to get married like a week after camp was over, YIKES!).

I LOVE camp! I have always worked so hard organizing hand-outs, preparing scripture study, getting ready for the overnight hike (because I've always been in charge of 3rd years) and bonding with the girls. It's been rewarding, fulfilling and FUN!

This year, however, I was not invited to be a leader at camp. I was asked to be the camp coordinator for our ward - which I accepted. I dutifully did all the tasks that a coordinator is supposed to do: collect the money, make sure all the forms are filled out and returned, keep the girls informed about meetings, coordinate (and teach) the CPR and first-aid before camp, coordinate the rides for the girls AND their gear etc., etc., etc. There's a lot that goes into camp!

We were three seats short so I decided to drive those three girls AND all the gear up to camp today. I had a lot of fun chatting and listening to music for the three hour ride with the girls. I laughed hard and enjoyed - really enjoyed - every minute of the journey. When I got to camp, I unloaded the gear and unhooked my trailer and had lunch before I headed home.

I must say that I got pretty choked up a few times. My bestie AND my daughter were staying and I was coming back and I wasn't taking it very well. Nope, not well at all. I felt like a spoiled brat who didn't get her way. I left and had quite a struggle with my emotions most of the way home.

Here I am at home tonight. I just had what I wanted for dinner (a protein shake) and I'm on my computer blogging and I am tossing a glance at my awesome comfortable bed. They are at camp with the bugs (actually I don't mind bugs), loud rowdy girls, long trips in the dark to the restroom and trying to be comfortable in that stupid mummy sleeping bag with a loud air mattress underneath.

Yes, I'm thinking being home isn't bad.

No comments: