Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Family Business

Recently, I made a (not so smart) decision to take a class to learn something so that I could get a job. I won't mention what it was that I thought I was going to do but I will say that it went against everything that I and my family believe in (yeah, not so smart indeed). Skip was against the idea and balked quite loud about the $200 that I spent to take said class. Brandilyn was very unhappy with me and my best friend asked "why the heck would you do THAT?" My sister, Gail, was surprised and never discouraged (or encouraged, for that matter) me but said that I was a people person and would be pretty good at it.

Well, I took a week of the class and witnessed a lot of chaos in my heart, mind and home. Everything was in disarray and felt confusing. I hit my knees and prayed about my decision and clearly came up with the impression that this was NOT a path that I needed to be following. The next day I had an appointment with a client to zone her feet. Since I don't have an office anymore I go to my clients in their home. She had a cute little nook set up in her home that was her "office". I asked, "do you have a job that you work out of your home for?" She replied, "My family is my business. That is what I do. My family."

That hit me right in the heart. Yes, my family IS my business. It's the most important work that I will ever do. It is what Heavenly Father set me here to do. My family. I should not be pursuing anything that is not in harmony with that very important task.

My decision was made. My decision was reaffirmed by my bishop on Sunday (who felt "inspired" to have a chat with me - wow!) and now I suddenly feel free. It feels good to go about my day and do those tasks that I thought were mundane and annoying. I know that I won't feel this enthusiasm forever, but today it feels just right to be right here right now doing what I was ordained to do.

Oh, and that $200? Yeah, I guess that is a steep price to pay for a lesson well learned. Sorry babe.

No comments: