Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

Yes, They're ALL Mine!!

While we were driving home from Idaho, the twins and I popped into a convenience store to snag some snacks (essentials on a road trip). The woman working there motioned to the twins and said, "looks like you have your hands full there." (and Jacob was being super well behaved!)

I just smiled and said, "I've been doing this for awhile. I guess I must be used to it."

She then asked, "How many kids do you have?"

"Seven."

She then HAD to ask that question that I loathe. "Are you a foster parent or is this a blended family?"

"Neither. They're ALL mine!"

My parents adopted me when I was a new baby. They also adopted two of my siblings and then got pregnant with my younger sister. My mom NEVER and I mean NEVER(!!) said, "I have four children. These three are adopted and this one is my own." That made an impression on me (not that I thought about it at all as a kid) as an adult who DOES have a unique family make-up. I always felt as if I was just as important to Mom as my little sister. I never felt different. In fact when I was about 18 months old my mom took me on a trip to England (her home) with her. Someone (uncool) pointed out that I had blonde hair and she didn't. My mom replied, "Well, my mother has blonde hair." No further dialogue was needed. Go Mom!!!

I strive to do the same with my own family. They're ALL mine! End of story. Yes, the twins arrived via an alternate route than the others. I keep in touch with their grandma and she still loves them so very much. However, she doesn't interfere with their life with us and respects that we are their parents. Someday soon I hope they get to meet her. She's an awesome grandma.

One of my favorite responses to someone's nosiness came from Skip's aunt. Her and her husband adopted three children as well and had one biological child. When the inquiry came, she simply said, "Three are adopted. One we had naturally. I forget which one, though." Classic.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I saw an interview with Marie Osmond one time and she was asked, "which kids are your biological kids?" and she said, "I can't remember..." Love it.