Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Norma Jean and Evelyn

Six gazillion years ago, before my daughter Brandilyn was born, I worked in an office where I met my prince, got married and lived happily ever after (I think that's how it went).

Well, anyway, while I was working at said company, I was in charge of hiring and managing the receptionists. I interviewed what seemed like two thousand perspective candidates and settled on this middle aged woman (I was like in my late 20's at the time) named Norma (I called her Norma Jean cuz that was her middle name and I thought it was way cool - it's a Jody thing, sorry). I thought Norma Jean would be perfect for the job . . . then she started working there.

Norma Jean had this "thing" about wanting to change up things. I'm kind of one of those people that sets stuff up the way I think works well and really doesn't dig peeps rearranging my turf. There were other weird quirks about her (I can't remember them right now) but Norma Jean kind of drove me nuts. I don't think I was very nice to her. Needless to say Norma Jean didn't last long.

Then, one day Norma Jean was gone and I hired Evelyn (I called her Evie cuz I'm cool like that). Evie was a grandma sort of woman and I just adored her. She just plugged along and everyone got along with her. Whatever I asked of her, she just found a way to do it. I remember one time we got a really complicated phone system put in our new office and I thought she was going to have a serious meltdown the first time she answered a call. She even said to me, "Oh, I don't think I'm going to be able to do this job anymore." I assured her that she would be fine and that I would help her learn the new system. She somehow overcame her "flusteredness" and ended up doing wonderful (like I knew she would). I couldn't have given Evie enough praise if I tried. I think Evie was still working there when I quit to stay home and have my baby girl.

Okay, the point of all of this? Yeah, there is one. So now the tables are turned. Here's me out looking for a simple office type of job. You know, answering phones, light filing, getting coffee for the boss etc., etc., etc. Please, oh please God, let the person that hires me be kind. Let me be the Evie of the company and not the Norma Jean. I'm a little nervous about re-entering the "office" world. I still remember how to behave but so much has changed. Please let me have a mentor that is patient (like I was with Evie) and not annoyed (like I was with Norma Jean) with my lack of experience with modern technology.

1 comment:

brandilyn said...

you'll be great!! don't worry! how could anyone not love you?