Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

Family Work Day


I feel often that Courtney and Jacob are my second chance (or third) at parenthood. Obviously, Heavenly Father thinks I suck at it so he keeps giving me the task to do over and over and over and over again. Gasp.
Okay, in the past I have always spoiled my rotten kids to death. Cell phones? Check. Cars? Check. No chores? Check. Yup, they got everything they wanted, did nothing and complained that they couldn't have and couldn't do more. My boys appear to be lazy, sleep till all hours of the day and are not too motivated to get jobs (I know, I've vented about this before).
Court and Jake are a whole different story. Courtney has been hammering on me for like about two years for a cell phone. NOT!!!! Probably NOT EVER!! When it comes time for them to need/have cell phones, they will definitely earn that privilege. Cars? Nope. They have to get their own, pay for their own gas, insurance and upkeep.
Another thing that really eats at me about my older children is the fact that they, for some odd reason, don't feel they need to contribute to the household. Chores? Yeah, those are for mom to do and dad, when he's home from busting his ass at work all week earning money so that we can blow it like there's no tomorrow, to do. Courtney and Jacob? Different story again. They actually are EXPECTED to do chores. What's more? They don't complain!!! They were out there today right beside their dad and I shoveling horse poop, sweeping the driveway, stacking wood, washing the car etc., etc., etc.
So in like 10-15 years I'm looking forward to seeing the difference between these two and the teenage boys who are so "entitled".

1 comment:

brandilyn said...

dave just looked at this picture and said, "oh, it looks like he got that big log split! wish i was there for that!"