Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Thailand - Breaking out of the Compound


My next several posts are going to be about my trip to Thailand. I had a GREAT time and this is MY blog so I'm going to post memories about my trip. Sorry if this bores anyone else but ME!
I went to Thailand with a group of yogis from the studio I practice at, Cosmic Dog Yoga. There were 17 of us in our group and it was a great group. No drama.
The 2nd night we were there a typhoon hit the island and the power and water were out for two days. Five of us had had enough of being confined to the resort where we were staying and made a hasty decision to get out and see something of this country we traveled so far to see.
We decided to rent motor scooters and get mobile. The woman who was renting to us took one look at us (all five of us are blondes) and sternly suggested that this was a BAD idea. The roads were wet, the traffic travels on the LEFT side of the road and we, all of us, were completely inexperienced at driving motor bikes of any kind.
Plan B: We hired a taxi (the back of a pick-up truck in the above left of the picture) and he took us out and about. We went to the infamous falls and hiked up and got to enjoy a fantastic treat, courtesy of Mother Nature. It was breathtaking. He then took us to an alligator (crocodile, idk the diff) farm which completely caught us by surprise. We got to pet the elephants (which got us pretty excited for our upcoming ride the following day), experience some fantastic ocean views and then he took us (five women, good call) to Fisherman's Wharf for shopping.
On the wharf were these little huts (bottom right) that people actually lived in. They were about half the size of my bedroom. Hard to imagine. Gobs and gobs of shops and we only made it about half way before one of us was way too hungry (and no, it wasn't me) and we needed to head back.
It was our first absolute favorite day of the trip. We blew off our evening yoga class which none of us regretted. The five of us bonded and soon became inseparable for the balance of the trip. It was a special treat to discover that Sandy and her daughter, Natasha, were LDS. We stuck together like glue for the next six days.
This trip wasn't what I went to Thailand looking for (I was looking for serious yoga time) but I ended up finding something that I will treasure for the rest of my life. Great memories and life long friends.

No comments: