Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Non Attachment


This is Brian on Ellie. We have had Ellie since she was like 5 years old (whe's 12 now) and he absolutely loved his mare and showed her for about three years. She's athletic, fun and has a really silly personality. I adore the mare too.
Here's the rub. Economic challenges as well as the fact that there just aren't many people left in my home that ride horses (there's just me) make it necessary to downsize substantially. Today someone is coming to look at her. My heart is breaking.
So, when Neener and I went out to lunch a couple of days ago, we talked a lot about non-attachment to, well . . . everything. We, especially as Westerners, are so "attached" to our stuff. Unfortunately, that includes our animals. I thought I was a pretty good candidate for someone who would be able to go and live in a society that practices the law of consecration. You know, where everything belongs to everybody. And, maybe I am. I mean, if Ellie could belong to the community I belong to it wouldn't hurt so damn bad, right?
Nevertheless, I have to accept what is. What is right now is the fact that there is the distinct possibility that in a couple of hours she will no longer be my horse and I will never see her again. My tears and my heartache can't pay the bills and I have to do what I have to do.
Yup, I need a lot of work on this non-attachment thing.

No comments: