Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Kamikaze Son

We are up in Washington visiting my sister and mom. We traveled up here on Friday and are staying at my sister's house. The weather here is so perfect for Brandilyn's liking but my Dad and I are such warm weather creatures we are having a bit of a challenge adapting. But other than that, the break from life and the opportunity to spend quality time with my parents and one of my sibs is awesome.

This morning I decided that I needed a run. I just get so keyed up and out of sorts that I just need to go run it out. Unfortunately, Jacob decided that waking up at 6:30 a.m. was a good idea . . . whatever. I asked him to go back to bed. My sister was leaving for work and then I thought about it. Um . . . Jacob awake loose in my sister's house while I'm out getting my zen on. Yeah, bad, bad idea. I went back into the room and asked him to get dressed and ride his bike with me. He was more than happy to oblige.

We took off and he seemed to be enjoying himself. He left me alone to think which is my favorite thing to do while I'm running. (I'm one of those that HATE listening to music. I LOVE my thoughts). At the half-way point, Jacob wiped out and did a total body plant on the asphalt. He started crying (howling) and I told him to buck up and get back on his bike. He pulled it together and complied (I noticed that he was doing a lot of checking out of his wounds - I, being the stellar mom, chose to ignore it).

A bit later, I noticed that Jacob was quite a bit behind me. I turned around to see if he was okay and noticed that he was picking some random berries and eating them. I yelled for him to stop and catch up. Now I was a bit concerned. I had NO idea what the flip these berries were. I called my sister when I got home and asked and she indicated that she was pretty sure they were Oregon Grapes (something I don't see where I'm from) and that they were okay. I'm supposed to identify the plant when I get over there in a bit.

Anyway, back here at my sister's house, I finally looked down at Jacob's leg and noticed that his shorts were really blood soaked. OMG! Yeah, I'm SO up for the mother-of-the-year award. I dug through Gail's stuff and found some spray and antiseptic stuff to hold him over. Gotta make a store run again and get some supplies to patch that boy of mine up. He's not dead or sick from eating the suspicious berries so I'm guessing they were the "good" berries.

What a way to start my day, lol. That BOY!!!!

No comments: