Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Blue No Glue

It's kind of ironic. I spent a lot of years standing on the side of the ring watching my children show their horses through the years. Brian, Brandilyn and Robbie have all been extremely talented riders. They have won a LOT of ribbons and awards and we have spent a LOT of money on horses, shows, lessons, training etc etc etc. It has been a lot of fun and I have enjoyed it immensely.

However, in the background, has been their mother. I have ridden since I was four (I think I've mentioned that before). My mom was an awesome teacher and she was way more patient with me than I have ever been with my children when it has come to teaching things of this nature. I decided, about 14 years ago, to take formal lessons just so that I could ride with my babies. I have continued taking lessons. I even competed in a schooling show that turned into a complete disaster about 12 years ago and vowed to NEVER show again.

We once had a gorgeous horse that we bought for Brandilyn. He was a complete neurotic horse and freaked out when a horse was coming in the opposite direction as he. We ended up trading him for this big black quarter horse. I was disappointed and didn't know what I would do with this other animal we had just acquired. I had trials with him (I got thrown off, he took off and removed one of my fingers which turned into a medical nightmare etc.) I hated him. One day, about four years ago, my trainer convinced me to take lessons on him and I reluctantly complied. That was and is my beloved Black Horse.

Last weekend my trainer talked me into showing . . . again. I was like, "IIIrrreeeeene, I'm scared of being embarrassed and doing awful!" She gently explained that a lot of years have passed and that I was much better and I should do fine. I was terrified but did it anyway.

I have to say the day was an incredible surprise! I competed in eight classes. I took home SEVEN blue ribbons and one red!! Are you kidding me? I was so proud of my big black wonder. Every time they announced the winner of a class I was completely caught off guard when they called my number.

The only thing missing in my wonderful experience was a member of my family standing at the gate and saying, "Good job. I'm so proud of you." I imagined it to be Brandilyn, though, and it made it all perfect.

We have all, over the years, had a funny saying at the horse shows: Blue or Glue (meaning he's off to the glue factory if he doesn't bring home the magic, lol). Well, my baby is DEFINITELY here to stay . . . for now.

No comments: