Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Low, low, low

Caution: I'm about to get a wee bit spiritual. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Actually, there's NOTHING wrong with it. It's pretty right. And, because it's Sunday, I guess it would make it pretty appropriate, lol.

In the Book of Mormon there is a spot where the people were exceedingly wicked - actually there is a LOT of spots where the people were exceedingly wicked. However, the part I was reading recently is in the actual book of Mormon. The people had continued to become more and more wicked and then they were getting their tails whooped by the Lamanites, they were humbled and started to listen, somewhat, to the prophets and repent. Mormon wrote these words . . .
"and it came to pass that when I, Mormon, saw their lamentation and their mourning and their sorrow before the Lord, my heart did begin to rejoice within me, knowing the mercies and the long-suffering of the Lord, therefore supposing that he would be merciful unto them that they would again become a righteous people." (Mormon 2:12)

I, as a mother, am feeling this same joy in my heart. It has been very difficult to watch one of my children in particular spiral downward rapidly. I have finally pulled away from helping him out of the difficult situations he gets himself into. He has hit a new low recently and called me sobbing. After a lot of conversation last night, I put his dad on the phone. My husband counseled our son to go to church today (which he did), meet with his bishop (which he did) and commence the repentance process (which he says he's going to).

I know my son has a very long road ahead of him. He has a lot of really difficult consequences to deal with for his rogue actions and we will love him through every minute of it - not fix the problem or pay his way - just love him (which is a new concept for me).

I am grateful that we have the church and that there is help for us. I'm grateful that my son has finally reached the point where he is open to help from above. I'm grateful that we have a loving, forgiving Heavenly Father who is there for us and loves us unconditionally. I feel a lot of joy in my heart right now and I'm grateful for that too.

No comments: