Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Five and A Half Hours

Last Tuesday was a rough day - to say the least. I got woke up at 3:00 a.m. by my son requesting that I pick him up in town where he was visiting with the local peace officers (you know, kickin it and enjoying coffee and donuts) and taking a tour of the police station. Charming.

By the time I got home it was 5:00 a.m. and I decided that I should just stay up and start my wonderful day. I discovered we had no water at the house because of a broken pipe. Skip called the pipe fixing guy and that problem was solved sometime later. Turned out to be not the biggest train crash of my life.

My visiting teachers showed up around 1:30 ish and I was SO relieved (but in the back of my mind I KNEW that things in my life just seem to happen in 3's so I was on guard). We visited for quite awhile (I had a lot to say). The twins kept interupting so I asked them to please go outside and play. They did. My VT's left around 3:00 (like I said, I had a LOT to say, lol).

Courtney came in sometime later and announced that she couldn't find Jacob. I told her to go look again - dismissing her frustration (my bad). After another 1/2 hour she announced, once again, that she couldn't find Jacob. I decided to go out and help her out. After about two hours I started to panic a bit. I called my resourceful neighbor and she came over to help as well. She finally told me she was going to go saddle up a horse and we put in a call to 911.

I continued to search (we live in a wilderness area so the terrain is pretty rough in places and dangerous to say the least). The fire department showed up to get details, description etc. from me. Thank heavens Courtney was there. She was able to accurately describe what Jacob looked like, what he was wearing and where he was playing before she couldn't find him anymore. I was pretty impressed. My neighbor showed up on her horse and took off into the hills to search where vehicles can't access.

I came into the house and tried to call my bestie. I needed emotional support because I could feel myself slipping fast. She wasn't available so I called my VT, Brenda. She dropped everything and her and her husband quickly drove to our ranch.

After 5-1/2 hours of Jacob being gone, I heard the words I was desperately aching to hear, "I've got him!!" Jacob was alive and well. The search was terminated.

My neighbor had found him about two miles from our place, out in the hills wandering around lost. He had wandered out there (still don't even have a clue what went through his mind to motivate this activity), climbed up in a tree and had gotten stuck, heard me calling his name but chose not to respond, managed to get out of the tree without breaking anything and was standing in a clearing looking dazed and confused when she found him.

I am grateful that Jacob is ok. I'm grateful for all the people that rallied around to help me find my son. I am SO grateful that #3 came and passed and everyone is ok. I am really trying to find a place in my heart that can understand his random train of thought that led to all of this (just for the record, he didn't "run away" this time).

Right now, though, I'm glad to know that all is well.

No comments: