Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My Blind Side

You ever see that movie Blind Side? The one with Sandra Bolluck where she's a mom and takes in a young man that is homeless? Yeah, that movie. Great movie. Totally loved it.

So, no, I'm NOT trying to emulate her in my life at all. However, there was a young man, Demariea, that came to "stay" for a few days last summer at our home. He gave me a story (that was completely untrue) and I allowed him to stay. Well, a couple months went by and he was still in my home. After that, well . . . Demariea got into some trouble with the law and was taken to juvie where he resided, went to court and was later transferred to a facility about two hours away from us.

I've kept in touch with this lad throughout his ordeal. His family life is dysfunctional to say the least and I've let him know that he has a home with us when he is finally released. The more I've gotten to know him, the more compassion I have toward him.

Anyway, Saturday he had a wrestling tournament and the twins and I went to watch (it's the only time he's allowed out of his facility as long as he displays good behavior). He was amazing! I know nothing about wrestling but I have to tell you he made it look like he knew what he was doing. Furthermore, I was able to get this picture of this young man that NEVER smiles for pictures! Imagine that!

It was a treat to visit with Demariea and to bring him food that he doesn't usually get to enjoy (this time it was a Subway sandwich and some Diet Coke). It truly makes me appreciate the things that I take for granted in my life - like freedom to eat what I please and to come and go at will.

No comments: