Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Busted Flipper

Friday morning I went out to do my morning chores at 5:30 a.m. It's dark. I went down and turned on the sprinklers for my garden and, when I was heading back over to the garden, my foot inadvertently discovered a hole that my darling Jacob had recently dug while he was playing. Down I went HARD! On the way down I heard that unmistakable "crack" and I lay there on the ground rolling around and swearing (the peacocks chimed in to harmonize with me). Finally I pulled myself up and realized that I really did hurt myself. However, this was not the day I was going to change plans. No sir eee!!!

Hobbling around, I finished my chores and made it back up to the house and called Skip.

Me: "Um, I think I really hurt myself this morning (then recited the story)."
Him: "You probably slightly sprained it. Just walk it off. The more you walk on it, the faster it will get better."
Me: "I don't know, Skip. It hurts pretty bad and it's swelling up pretty fast."
Him: "Well, I'm sure you'll be fine."

Ok. Whatever!

After I got Jacob up and he was dressed for school, I asked him to run down and turn off the sprinklers. He said, "Ok, Mom, no problem!" Off he went. He came back, ate breakfast, brushed his teeth and did all his stuff and waited for his bus. When it arrived I told him I couldn't walk him out because of my foot. He looked super sad and said, "You always walk me out. Please?" I couldn't resist. I did and after he was buckled in and I had kissed him I looked up and saw that the sprinklers were still going in the garden. I asked him about that and he said, "Oh yeah, I couldn't figure it out. Bye Mom! I love you!" Lol. Off to the garden I headed . . . again.

I slowly got everyone else up and around and loaded up my car because, you see, this was the day that I was heading out to Rexburg to see my kids. I'm more excited about this trip than you can imagine cuz my babies mean so much to me! Robbie helped me load the heavy stuff in my car and Courtney (sort of) helped me load the smaller things. I dropped Court off for school like two minutes late but she was good natured about it.

I made the 14 hour drive to Rexburg and was pretty happy to see my kids. Brandilyn decided that my foot needed to be xrayed and took me to the ER yesterday morning. Yup, it's fractured! Now I'm sporting a sexy black boot on my right foot (I match my bestie, Neener, who also broke her right foot earlier this year and now has the same black boot).

Okay, so now I'm getting a taste for how it's gonna feel when I'm older and my children will hopefully be taking care of me. Brandilyn has been such a champ. Driving me around, listening to me whine about my owie, getting my medicine and fetching things for me. I'm so lucky to have such great kids.

No comments: