Pages

Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Stocking Box

My parents divorced when I was 4 and we didn't get to spend much time with my Dad while I was growing up because we lived two states apart. However, my Dad did a great job of trying to make up for his physical absence in our lives.

Every year my Dad sent us each a "Stocking Box" which was placed on our beds while we were sleeping on Christmas Eve. The box was large (I don't really know if it was large or if that is just my perspective because I was small) and it was FULL of individually wrapped gifts. I was way more excited about my stocking box as a child than I ever was about the rest of our Christmas festivities. That's not to say that we didn't have a lot of fun traditions, because we did, but the stocking box was just the highlight that has always stood out for me.

As a mother I have continued that tradition with my own children. They always get so excited about what is in the box and can't wait to come and wake their dad and I up on Christmas morning to tell us what Santa brought them. I have also chosen to continue that tradition with my husband. We have always gone out and bought little goodies for each other.

Now that my daughter is grown and married, I was sad that I wasn't going to be able to prepare a box for her. Unbeknownst to me, she was also sad about the same thing. I had a brilliant idea a couple of weeks ago. Why don't Brandilyn and I do each other's box! I know that Skip really didn't enjoy doing mine (I guess cuz he's a guy or something) but I so enjoy doing his so we decided that we would make a box for each other and our own husbands.

Last night I gave Brandilyn her box (we are visiting up here in Idaho and I won't get to see her for Christmas - breaks my heart) and her and Dave opened their's this morning. I'm taking mine home to savor on Christmas morning.

Can hardly wait!!!

No comments: