Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

The Rustler - Part II

I just can't continue in fairy tale form. This story just doesn't conform to such . . .

As we drove up to pick up the pony, I was nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof. My comrades continued to attempt to calm me down by telling me there was nothing I was doing wrong. I just HATE confrontation. I know I've said it before but it's true.

When we arrived at the ranch, there was nobody in the office. We walked around until we saw a woman out doing something. We inquired as to whether or not she knew where the pony was and she asked if we had informed the trainer that we were picking her up. I said that I was the owner and that I had not informed him as of yet. She sent us on a wild goose chase while she went and snagged my pony and hid her in a random pasture.

While we were walking back toward where we had seen her, another woman rode by us on a horse and started whistling loudly (obviously alerting the first woman as to our whereabouts). About then, two different hispanic men arrived on their Gators and we, once again, inquired about my pony. They were vague (and spoke very little English, it appeared). When one of my mates suggested that we were going to call the police if we couldn't get our pony he said, "Uh, follow me" (yeah, that's right, buddy, suddenly your memory was jogged).

I found her stall. She was gone. We all knew we had been had at that moment. However, the two hispanic men materialized out in a pasture where we could see a pony galloping around at top speed. Yep, that was her all right. We waited until they had the pony and brought her to us. My mates loaded her up in the trailer and we were off.

I called Skip and asked him to please call the trainer since he had been texting and calling me like crazy. He did and they had a bit of a heated discussion before it calmed down and they both came to some kind of agreement.

I have to say that I was so shaking and stressed out. My teeth on the left side of my mouth hurt pretty bad right now from being clenched most of today. I didn't calm down until I had unhooked the trailer at my place, come up to the house and dove into a bag of Cheetos (okay, probably not the best decision of the day). I am now relieved and feel like a huge burden has been lifted off of my shoulders.

So now the exquisite pony is lounging in her stall in the castle stables. She is being hand fed grain and hay and many many specialty horse treats. The maiden has retired to her quarters with strict instructions to the castle occupants to not disturb her (yeah, I wish). The mates have done a good turn and will be vastly rewarded for their deeds. All is well in the kingdom this night and we know that now we can live happily ever after.

No comments: