Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Rainbow

Several days ago I posted my Facebook status as "after the hurricane comes a rainbow". This was a quote from Katy Perry's song, "Firework" (which, by the way, I LOVE that song). It has caused me to ponder the quote further, though.

Cory, Danielle, Brandilyn and (mostly) Brian were horrible, nasty, terrible teenagers. I spent a lot of their teenage-hood in tears and frustration. Actually, one funny story (there are a lot, I'm sure) was one day I was so mad at Brian - he was about 17 at the time - and I was yelling at him for something, which is highly unusual for me (lol). He was being belligerent and disrespectful (who, Brian?) and I finally walked up to him - all 5'11" muscular teenage him - and started pounding my fists on his chest as I was crying and yelling (yeah, I was in perfect control). He laughed and said repeatedly, "Mom, stop. Come on, Mom, stop it. Mom, really, stop." All the while I was just out and out losing it. Yeah, this would describe how most of the teenage years have gone with my offspring.

However, those four older children are now beautiful pieces of MY rainbow. All in their own special way. I'm proud of each and every one of them. Cory and his girl, Sarah, have a gorgeous little girl of their own that is the apple of my husband's eye. I get to tend her and she's just so fun and smart and . . . fun!

Danielle is getting married to her guy here in less than a month. I'm so proud of how she's worked so hard to get where she is. She holds down a full time job and babysits multiple times during the week AND is a consultant for moms with problem kids. She has managed to plan a wedding with a minimal budget which I find highly commendable. She has become the queen of bargains.

Brandilyn and her husband are awesome. They own a clothing store and she is about to graduate college in July. She is such a strong member of the Church (yes, BRANDILYN!) which gives me hope for the others. Her and Dave are so crazy in love. Brandilyn is so great at listening to my woes and she gives really great sound advice. I so cherish my visits up there to Idaho (the cold country) to visit and bond.

Brian - ah, yes my Brian . . . talk about the hurricane of all hurricanes! Yeah, that boy gave me the run of my life! Now, he is really trying hard to get his stuff together and go on a mission. He is madly in love with Megan (so are we) and wants to finish his mission and marry his love. He just scored a job at Winco and wants to pay his own way in life (YES!!). He calls me every day to tell me he loves me and misses me. It's reciprocal.

So, there it is. Four beautiful parts of my 7-part rainbow. I love them so much.

And here I am in the middle of yet another hurricane eagerly looking for that rainbow that I know is out there. It's what keeps me going.

1 comment:

Megan said...

awww this just made me tear up. I pray for you every night jode keep your head up!! You are seriously my hero i dont know how you do it!