Pages

Thursday, December 4, 2008

My Yoga Family

I've never really thought about it before but I guess it could be, well it is, true. My yoga community is my yoga "family". That reality dawned on me yesterday when an event took place during my yoga practice.

We were right there in the middle of our yoga practice. Everything was humming along just great. There was the sound of sirens in the background but I really don't tune into that kind of thing when I'm in my practice. It's just there - not noticed. My teacher then brought it to our conscience attention. It was getting louder and louder and then it just stopped right outside the studio.

Four firemen jumped out and came to the door of the studio - right there in the middle of class! They started banging on the door and one of the women in class jumped up with her keys and unlocked the doors as they went running through our class. I couldn't believe it was happening! Who does that? That never happens!!!

Well, what had happened was that this elderly woman fell outside the studio on the parking lot side and her glasses broke with the glass sticking into her face. One of my fellow yogis is a firefighter and she was out there helping this poor woman. I guess the woman's face was cut pretty badly and she was bleeding quite a bit.

As we were focusing our attention back on our practice, one of the firemen had to come running through our class AGAIN to get something out of his truck that was still parked on the street side. My teacher, in all her wisdom, asked us to stop our practice and send some good energy toward the woman that was in trouble. We did as we were asked. When Julie (the firefighter yogi) came back to class, she told us that the woman suddenly had become sooooo calm. Hmm, where did that come from, I wonder??

The point is, is that while we were thinking of that woman, one of the other yogis in my class said, "Well, she's in good hands. She's got "our" Julie." That says it all. My yoga family. I love them and I love everything about my yoga practice. I am so grateful to belong to this wonderful yogic community and know that where ever I travel, I will have a family in the yoga community.

No comments: