Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Growing Season

Courtney is back living with me.  She's been living with my sister for the past 6 months and, frankly, my sister isn't accustomed to parenting and . . . well . . . she's back with me.  It's all good.  I got a 6 month break and now I feel like I can better handle the stresses of raising a special needs child.

I enrolled her in the local high school and yesterday was her first day.  She was so excited to see all of her old friends from before.  She came home as happy as could be.  She kept thanking me over and over for putting her in that school so that she could not feel so awkward when she was technically a "new" kid.

One class, that happens to be her first period of the day, that she particularly is NOT too fond of is PE.  Court has always struggled with this class - typically getting a D or F.  I ask, "how does one actually go about failing PE?"  Answer:  You don't dress out because you are too "sick" to take PE.  Bad answer!!!

I think this morning I might have found a little closer to the truth:

C:  Mom, there is something that is really bothering me that I don't know what to do about.
Me:  Mmm.  What's that, Court?
C:  I don't have breasts.
Me:  Oh.  Well, that's not something I can help you with but I'm pretty sure your day is coming.
C:  Well, I looked it up in the book and it said that breasts grow anywhere from between 10 years old to 15.  I've missed the growing time.  I don't think mine are going to grow.

Okay . . . I was driving DOWN THE HILL when this little bit of wisdom was shared with me.  I swear I almost wrecked Herkie trying not to break up into hysterics.  Actually, if the look on her face hadn't been so sad and pathetic, I might have.

I then informed my child that that was just an average for young girls.  There are always exceptions to the rule and she was one of them.  (Really, babe, count your blessings.)

Wow . . . I truly didn't see that one coming.

No comments: