Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Outta the Comfort Zone

I've been in school for 5-1/2 months now for yoga teacher training.  It's been a safe little place to reside, I've decided.  There was our little group of eight and we just taught each other.  We would make up sequences when we were asked and just teach the group.  It was nice.  We had lectures and we would all just get to sit and listen and take notes.  It was easy.  We would be given assignments to read books and we just got to go home and read.  It was great.  We were given assignments to write essays and a few different topics so we would sit at our computers and research and write.  No big deal.

Yesterday, however, was our final.  We were divided into two groups of four and told that we were each to teach the public.  There was a beginners class (my group) and a Flow Level 2 class (not my group).  We were then each given a portion of the class to teach.  The assignment went out about two or so weeks ago and didn't seem like a big deal at the time.  My portion was the stretching and closing part.  No biggie.  I got this.

So the time came for the class.  I was blown away at how many people were crammed into the studio to support us graduates.  Our class ALONE had 25 or so people in it.  I was so proud of my peers.  They taught well and seemed to be in control of their universe.  Then . . . well, then came my part.  I honestly thought I was okay until it came time to actually start teaching.  I was nervous and felt like my brains froze up.  I know I taught but I honestly don't remember all that I said.

When the class was over lots of people came up to us and said that the class was amazing.  They were giving us a lot of positive feedback.  I'm pretty sure it was more for the sequencing before mine but I was glad that they appeared to have liked it nonetheless.

Tonight we get the critique from our teachers on how we did.  I have definitely wandered out of my comfort zone.  I like it here but I'm a little nervous about how I'm going to come off to people from here forward.  If my husband is like my friend's husband who graduated in the class before mine, I'm going to hear "well now you're a teacher.  Get out there and teach!"  Lol.

No comments: